Hiring the Right Family Attorney Tampa FL Clients Trust
When you are going through a divorce, it is imperative to hire a Tampa, Florida family attorney you can trust. The family attorney you work with can have a major impact on the outcome of your divorce. That’s why you shouldn’t rush to hire the first lawyer who shows up in a Google search. Taking the time to hire a lawyer who fits your needs will benefit you in the long run. Here are some tips for hiring the right Tampa, FL family attorney:
Speak to a Family Lawyer as Early as Possible
It’s wise to schedule a meeting with a family attorney as soon you know for sure that your marriage is ending. If you are not particularly fond of the first lawyer you meet, you still have time to meet with other ones. If you wait until you’re served with papers to talk to a lawyer, you may feel pressured to hire the first one you speak to.
Choose a Tampa, FL Family Attorney Who Understands Family Law Practice
When you are going through a divorce, it’s critical to hire a lawyer who focuses his or her practice on family law. That way, he or she is more likely to be up to date on changes in divorce law and has the appropriate experience to handle your case efficiently. You should also choose a lawyer who has experience with your particular type of divorce. For example, if you have minor children, you may want to hire a lawyer who has handled child custody battles before.
During your initial consultation, the Tampa, FL family attorney is not the only one who should be asking questions. You should also have a list of questions on your own. The more information you obtain about a lawyer’s skills and experience, the better. A good family attorney in Tampa, Florida will be more than happy to answer all of your questions. Some of the questions you may want to ask include:
- How long have you practiced family law?
- Where did you attend law school?
- How many cases do you settle?
- What is the best way to reach you?
- Do you see any challenges in my case?
- Will you be the only lawyer working on my case?
- What are your fees?
Choose a Lawyer You Feel Comfortable With
A family attorney in Tampa, FL could have all the experience in the world, but if you don’t feel comfortable with the person, he or she probably isn’t right for your case. During your initial consultation with a family attorney, pay careful attention to how you feel around him or her. Do you feel comfortable opening up to the attorney? Does the attorney truly seem like he or she cares about your best interests? If you feel like something isn’t right about the attorney you speak to, it’s best to move on to someone else.
Many family attorneys based in Tampa, FL offer free initial consultations, so it does not hurt to speak to one as soon as possible.
If you are planning to get divorced, you may want to consult with a family attorney Tampa, FL trusts from The McKinney Law Group. Damien McKinney has been practicing family law for the past 10 years and has been named a rising star by Super Lawyers every year since 2012. With a skilled lawyer like Damien on your side, you may be able to reach a favorable outcome in your divorce.
How Long Does a Divorce Take?
Our Tampa, FL family attorney knows that if you want to file for divorce, you are probably curious about how long the process actually takes. The truth is that it can vary greatly. Some divorces take just a few months while others take years. The amount of time your divorce will take may depend on several different factors, such as the amount of conflict in your divorce and the mandatory waiting period in your state.
One of the best ways to speed up the divorce process is to act quickly. Don’t hesitate to gather all the documents relevant to your divorce and schedule a consultation with a family attorney in Tampa, FL.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Family Attorney?
A divorce can get complicated and messy, so it may be important to have an experienced family attorney Tampa, FL respects on your side. Here are a few benefits a family lawyer may provide:
- Favorable Settlement: If you have a skilled family lawyer on your side, you may improve your chances of receiving a favorable settlement. An experienced family lawyer has likely handled divorce cases in the past and knows how to negotiate with other lawyers.
- Assistance with Paperwork: Getting divorced requires filling out a lot of paperwork. Some of the terminology in divorce paperwork can be difficult to understand. A family attorney Tampa, FL depends on may help you fill out this paperwork in a timely fashion and avoid making errors.
- Objectivity: When you are going through a divorce, it is normal to experience many different emotions. However, these emotions could cause you to make a decision you will later regret. A Tampa, FL family attorney is there to offer objectivity and deter you from making rash decisions.
- Communicate with Ex-Spouse: If you and your spouse ended things on bad terms, you might feel uneasy about speaking to him or her. If you have a family lawyer by your side, your lawyer can handle all communication with your ex-spouse and with his/her legal counsel.
- Emotional Support: A family attorney Tampa, FL relies on is also there for emotional support. Going through a divorce can be very stressful and it is helpful to have someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side.
How a Divorce Can Impact Your Family
Getting divorced is one of the biggest decisions you can make in your life. Once you end your marriage, your life will be different in several different ways. However, not everyone considers this when they sign the divorce papers, as a family attorney from Tampa, Florida can affirm. It’s important to become aware of the possible changes you will go through beforehand.
Here are some of the different ways divorce can impact your family:
After a divorce, both individuals will no longer have a second income to rely on. The person who earns a lower income may struggle financially, at least in the beginning. Even if the person with the lower income receives alimony or child support payments, he or she may still not be able to live the same lifestyle as before. Our Tampa, FL family attorney knows that this can be especially difficult if there are children involved. They might not get as many clothes, toys, and trips to the ice cream shop as they did before. It’s important to plan for these financial changes and budget accordingly so that there are few surprises.
Missed Life Events
When both parents share custody of the children, they are bound to miss out on important milestones in their kids’ lives, such as learning how to ride a bike and losing their first tooth. The parent who didn’t witness this milestone in person will only hear about it afterward. Trusted family attorneys serving Tampa, FL have seen firsthand how this can dramatically impact a parent’s relationship with the kids and create a distance between them.
When two people get divorced, they likely won’t be spending the holidays together anymore. This can be difficult if there are kids involved because they will no longer be able to celebrate these special times with both their parents at the same time. Sometimes parents rotate holiday time with children every other year, which can make one parent feel lonely and sad.
Anger from Other Family Members
Sometimes family members may get upset when their in-laws decided not to stick out their marriage. They believe they should have continued to work at it instead of getting divorced. Family attorneys trusted by Tampa, FL residents will tell you that family members may have a lot of ill feelings, which can make the divorcing couple feel even worse.
Change in Activities
Many married couples do a lot of activities together, including going to the movies, eating at restaurants, and attending social gatherings. Once the marriage has ended, it may seem strange to do these activities on your own. You’re used to doing these activities with your former spouse and it doesn’t feel right doing them alone. However, you can eventually adjust to this.
Contact The McKinney Law Group Today
Do not wait to hire a Tampa, FL family attorney for your divorce case. At our firm, we understand that all family law matters can take a toll on our clients’ well-being and financial stability. Our mission is to provide counsel that is trustworthy and dependable, even in the most complex cases.
Custody Considerations of the Court
When it comes to custody situations, our Tampa, FL family attorney at The McKinney Law Group wants you to be aware that the family court will always rule in favor of the best interests of the child. In order to determine that, the court will examine many aspects of you and your former spouse’s lives. Based on your history of conduct, the judge will be able to construct a picture of what home life would be for your children under your care. Our Tampa, FL family attorney can play a key role in representing you throughout this process.
The judge has almost entire discretion over these decisions. They rule in the best interest of the child and rarely does an appellate review overturn the sitting judge’s decision. There are many different factors that will affect a judge’s decision and there is no guarantee for an outcome. Thankfully, the considerations are pretty straightforward.
If you have specific questions about your case, it is best to consult an experienced Tampa, FL family attorney.
General Considerations in Family Court
Anything that may affect the mental, spiritual, and emotional development of the child will be scrutinized and factored into the judge’s decision. Our Tampa, FL family attorneys can attest to that fact that every custody case has unique aspects and there is no set outcome for cases. Although there are a few things that will be combed through, some factors may be more of a concern than others. Nobody is perfect, and the judge is simply trying to determine the best situation for your child. A few general points that Tampa, FL family attorneys want you to be aware of when it comes to your custody case include:
The age of the child at the time of proceedings
- Physical and mental faculties of both parents
- The type of home environment each parent can provide will be examined by the judge.
- How the parents are involved in the child’s life so far.
- What relationship the child has with each parent.
- The time each parent has available to spend with the child will be an important factor, especially if living with one parent will mean extended periods of child care rather than family time.
- Any siblings and their relationships with each parent as well (whether the product of their union or from previous relationships).
- A family attorney in Tampa, FL wants you to know that any prior acts of misconduct on the part of either parent and the consequences (abuse, neglect, drug possession charges etc.)
- Religious affiliation
- How willing parents are to work together to both be participating in the child’s life and facilitate a relationship with the child.
- Adult and familial relationships, sexual and platonic.
These factors are general and each case is different. It is important to keep in mind that the judge makes the ultimate decision and some factors will hold more weight than others. Regardless, working with an experienced Tampa, FL family attorney can present your case before the judge to paint you in the best light possible.
Having Difficulties with a Custody Case?
Custody battles are difficult and you may believe that you have the best environment to offer your child. It is best to consult a Tampa, FL family attorney with experience in custody cases. Having The McKinney Law Group by your side will help you get the advice relevant to your case that can help you gain custody of your child. Do not wait to get to the courtroom, call for a free consultation today to discuss the particulars and create a plan of action.
For more information, or to speak with a family attorney Tampa, FL residents depend on, contact The McKinney Law Group.
“The McKinney Law Group is a quality and professional family law firm in Tampa.”