Can My Child’s Last Name be Changed?

While name changes during dissolution cases can be easily petitioned, name changes for minors require more cause.

Generally speaking, a parent cannot simply change their child’s last name without legal authorization.  However, a party can challenge the court to Petition for the minor child’s name to change. That said, the court may apply a “best interests” standard to determine whether or not the name change would be in the child’s best interests. For example, the court may look to whether the name change will cause embarrassment or discomfort due to the name change, and may also look to the age of the child as well.

If you may be considering filing for divorce or require legal assistance in other areas of Family Law you may always contact Damien McKinney of The McKinney Law Group to discuss your case further. He can be reached by phone at 813-428-3400 or by e-mail at [email protected].