Family law Tampa

Is Your Ex Not Following Child Custody Orders?

Child Custody Lawyer

If your ex hasn’t been following child custody orders, it’s understandable that you feel frustrated. Whether your ex bring your child home later than he or she is supposed to or takes your child out of state without permission, it can put a lot unnecessary stress on you. However, that doesn’t mean you have to put up with this behavior forever. You can take steps to stop it.

Here are the things you should do if your ex isn’t obeying custody orders:

Ask Your Lawyer to Write a Letter to Your Ex

The first step you can take is have your child custody lawyer write a formal letter to your ex, stating that he or she must comply with child custody orders or face serious legal consequences. A letter like this is enough to snap many people back into reality and convince them to follow orders.

Talk to the Judge

Another thing you can do is talk to the judge about your situation and ask him or her to change the child custody arrangement. If your ex often breaks the order, the judge may agree to shorten visitation times or require them to be supervised, for instance.

Write Down Everything

Whenever you are having issues with child custody, it’s in your best interest to document everything. Write down instances when your ex broke child custody orders and the actions you have taken so far to resolve the issue. It’s also helpful to write down how your ex reacted when you confronted him or her. Did he or she yell and scream? Or was he or she calm? If you have to resort to legal recourse in the future, this information will be helpful.

Don’t Break the Child Custody Order Yourself

When your ex is refusing to obey the child custody order, it can be tempting to break it yourself. While this can make you feel a little better initially, it can hurt you in the long run. If you have to go to court again, the judge may feel that you were being vindictive and maybe use that against you in the ruling.

File a Motion for Contempt of Court

If your ex still refuses to obey child custody orders, it may be necessary to file a motion for contempt of court. The judge will order your ex to come to court and explain his or her behavior. If the judge finds your ex guilty, he or she may face legal consequences, such as fines or even jail time.

Contact the Police

Calling the police is an extreme measure and should only be done as a last resort. If your ex continues to disobey child custody orders no matter what you do, calling the police may be your best option. When the police arrive, you should show them copies of your child custody orders.

If you have more questions about child custody laws, contact a reputable child custody lawyer in Bloomington today.

Thanks to Pioletti & Pioletti for their insight into family law and child custody orders.



Tampa Divorce Lawyer
Tampa Divorce Lawyer