Reasons to Request Child Custody Modification

The child custody arrangement the judge granted months ago might not be working for you anymore. The good news is that you have the option of asking the judge for a modification. Here are some of the common reasons parents request child custody modification:

The Child is In Danger

One of the most common reasons why parents request child custody modification is because they believe their child is in danger. For example, if a parent believes the other parent is physically abusing the child, he or she can ask the court to remove that child from the home. The court takes immediate dangers to children seriously and will full investigate the accusations.

The Other Parent Doesn’t Obey the Visitation Schedule

Sometimes parents don’t obey the agreed upon visitation schedule. They may show up hours late to pick up their children or not show up at all. When this happens frequently, the court may decide to change the custody arrangement.

The Custodial Parent Dies

If the custodial parent has died, the court will have to modify the child custody agreement right away. In most cases, the court prefers for the child to live with the non-custodial parent. However, there are sometimes circumstances that can prevent this from happening. For example, if the non-custodial parent works long hours and isn’t home enough to take care of the child, the court may look for alternative arrangements. The court may look to see if aunt, uncle or other relative can take care of the child.

The Custodial Parent Moves

If a custodial parent announces the he or she is moving, the noncustodial parent may ask the court for a custody change. The court will consider how the move may affect the child’s physical and emotional health before making a decision. For example, if the move will dramatically reduce the other parent’s child with the time, a custody modification may be necessary.

The Child is Going Through Issues

Whenever a child is experiencing major issues, a child custody modification may be necessary. For instance, if a child starts failing all his or her classes in school, the judge may decide to award the noncustodial parent sole physical custody. The noncustodial parent may live in a school district that can better accommodate the child’s academic struggles.

The Child Wishes to Live With the Other Parent

If a child is considered emotionally mature and wants to reside with the other parent, the court may consider his or her wishes. For example, if the child is a teenager and getting bullied at school, he or she may be able to go live with the other parent and attend a different school.

If you need assistance modifying a child custody order, you should contact a family lawyer. The lawyers have helped many individuals like yourself make changes to their custody agreements and are here to give you legal advice. Do not hesitate to speak with an experienced child custody lawyer Bloomington IL if you have any questions regarding child custody arrangements.

Thank you to Pioletti & Pioletti Attorneys at Law for providing key insight on child custody modifications.